MAKE A RESERVATION
Arrival
Departure
Adults
Kids
Promo Code
Group Code
Change/Cancel
Resort History 2018-04-20T18:36:33+00:00

Historic Resorts Phoenix

One thing that grows quite well in dry, sandy Arizona soil is cotton. And for that fact we at The Wigwam are especially grateful.

Our historic hotel in Arizona is a direct descendant of the state’s early cotton ranching business. When Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company discovered that long-staple cotton extended the life of its tires, the company bought 16,000 acres of Arizona land for cotton farming. In 1918, the company established the Organization House, the first building on the site, as lodging for ranch suppliers. These guests suggested that it would be a great place to spend a winter vacation, as did Goodyear Tire & Rubber executives, who sometimes brought their families when visiting the farm. On Thanksgiving Day, 1929, The Wigwam officially opened its doors as a guest ranch with enough rooms for 24 guests. The first nine-hole golf course was built in 1930, expanding to 18 holes in 1941. Although this resort and hotel in Litchfield Park has steadily grown over the past 85 years, a portion of the original structure,The Organizational House, remains as the cornerstone of The Wigwam’s authenticity and southwestern charm.

Today, The Wigwam features 331 elegant rooms, three championship golf courses-including the Robert Trent Jones Sr.- designed Gold and Blue Courses; nine tennis courts; three swimming pools including a 25′ dual water slide; a luxury spa and fitness center; award-winning dining; 29 fireplaces and fire pits; 30,000 square feet of indoor meeting space with 25 separate meeting rooms and 55,000 square feet of outdoor meeting space.

A RESORT RICH WITH HISTORY…

1918

The Organization House was opened as the first building on property as a meeting place for The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

Wigwam Historical Timeline - 100 Years Logo

1929

On Thanksgiving Day, The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company opened “The Wigwam” as a guest ranch.

1930

In 1930, the first nine-hole golf course was developed.

Wigwam Historical Timeline - 90 Years First 9 Holes of Golf Logo

1935

V.O. “Red” Allen expanded the course to 18 holes and became the first golf pro at The Wigwam.

1965

Robert Trent Jones, Sr. was brought in to oversee the development of a second 18-hole golf course and rebuild the first. The new 36 holes were renamed as the “Blue Course” and the “Gold Course.”

1979

In the fall of 1979, two plush Presidential suites, the Oraibi and the Bacabi, were constructed. Named after the oldest Native American village in Arizona, the Oraibi suite features more than 5,000 square feet of elegant Southwestern furnishings and decor.

TODAY

The Wigwam features 331 elegant rooms, 3 signature dining venues, 54 holes of championship golf, 3 pools and a 26,000 sq. ft. spa across 440 lush acres, representing relaxed Southwest luxury at its finest.