One thing that grows quite well in dry, sandy Arizona soil is cotton. And for that fact we at The Wigwam are especially grateful.
Our historic hotel in Arizona is a direct descendant of the state's early cotton ranching business. When Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company discovered that long-staple cotton extended the life of its tires, the company bought 16,000 acres of Arizona land for cotton farming. In 1918, the company established the Organization House, the first building on the site, as lodging for ranch suppliers. These guests suggested that it would be a great place to spend a winter vacation, as did Goodyear executives who sometimes brought their families when visiting the farm. On Thanksgiving Day, 1929, The Wigwam officially opened its doors as a guest ranch with enough rooms for 24 guests. The first nine-hole golf course was built in 1930, expanding to 18 holes in 1941. Although this resort and hotel in Litchfield Park has steadily grown over the past 80 years, a portion of the original structure,The Organizational House, remains as the cornerstone of The Wigwam's authenticity and southwestern charm.
Today, the resort is managed by The Pyramid Resort Group, a division of Boston based Pyramid Hotel Group. Our 331-room resort features: three championship golf courses-including the Robert Trent Jones Sr.- designed Gold and Patriot Courses; nine tennis courts; four swimming pools including a 25' dual water slide; a luxury spa and fitness center; award-winning dining; 29 fireplaces and fire pits; 45,000 square feet of indoor meeting space with 25 separate meeting rooms and 55,000 square feet of outdoor meeting space.